5 Things You Must Do Before Buying Your Garage Organizers
Have you been living with a messy garage and finally decided to get some garage organizers to help get your life in order? Perhaps with autumn in the air, you realize that it is time to do something if you hope to use your garage for winter. Or, perhaps you are tired of hearing your spouse complain about the disorganization that she considers your domain. Well, regardless of the reason, if you are considering purchasing some garage organizers to set you garage in order, here are five things to do before making your purchase.
- Get rid of what you don't need. Let's face it, the garage easily becomes the dumping ground for stuff that you do not want to deal with 'right now'. Take the time to go through that stuff and get rid of it. Some can just go to the dump. Other stuff may still be useful to somebody and can go to the local thrift store. Perhaps some has more value (i.e. - outgrown kids clothes) and can go to a consignment shop. Perhaps you have a lot of stuff with value and can have a garage sale, the proceeds can go towards the purchase of your new garage organizers.
- Categorize. Take everything that is remaining that you need to organize and categorize it. Put all the sports equipment together, the tools, craft supplies, keep sake items, holiday decorations etc. in their respective piles.
- Subcategorize. Within each category subdivide it according to need. By this, I mean how often you need to access the item. Is it seasonal? Among your tools, is it something you use a lot, or maybe just every year or two for a special project? The items you use more often, you want to have easier access to, if you only need to access it once or twice a year, then you don't mind if it takes a bit of effort to get to it.
- Decide what type of organizers work best for different categories and subcategories. For example, tools that you use often would best go in easy to reach cabinets or on a peg wall above a work bench. Stains, paints and other chemicals would best be kept higher up, or even in a lockable tall cabinet. A peg board system would be perfect for sports equipment, lots of options for hanging baskets for balls, and various types of specialty hooks. The hook system is also great for gardening tools, ladders, hoses etc. Seasonal holiday items can go in bins on high shelves or hung from the ceiling. There are so many great garage organizers available, make sure you know what is out there to help in this decision process.
- Measure out your space for the perfect fit. Measuring your floor space will allow you to pick one or more garage organizers that will work best for you. Decide how far out into the garage they can come without interfering with your car or easy access flow. Besides horizontal space, how much vertical space is available that can be used? Is there any ceiling space? This is a great untapped resource for hanging bikes and other large items, as wells as hanging shelves and other systems.
As you get your garage ready for winter, remember these 'Must Do' tips in organizing your space and in choosing garage organizers that will work best for you. Though it is a big project that make take one or two weekends, these tips will make the process much quicker and more efficient. And, you'll be glad you did it!